Re: [alfa] RE: GTV6 is chirping

> I kind of skimmed past the original post, so I don't remember all the
> details, but when I think chirping sound I think belts and pulleys.
>
> Are you sure the sound is coming from underneath the car, and not from
> the engine compartment?  Have you checked the belts for tightness?  How
> many miles on the water pump?  Alternator?
>
> Just some things to check..
>
> bs

Agreed.
I should have made mention of this stuff in the original rundown.  The water
pump was yanked and inspected around a thousand miles ago.  The belt squeal
associated with that was dealt with as well.  Having heard this maintenance
area make noise before, I would say that's not it.
I'm not sure how old the alternator is, but it hasn't been giving me any
problems. I will note that at one point, one of the timing belt cover bolts
that holds a wiring bracket wasn't tight enough and walked itself out of
place, eventually ending up dangling just over the fan-side of the
alternator, indeed making a bit of ringing noise.  that has since been dealt
with.  The sound is very similar to this, though, and I am pretty sure that
it's not coming from the engine comp this time, as popping the hood doesn't
really change its audibility, plus I'm now getting pretty familiar with
locating at least general sound locations.

So I was thinking perhaps something either associated with the flywheel or
possibly near the front giubo, but it seems that anything going wrong there
would be a persistant, if not insistant, noise.  There is a very slow oil
drip here as well, so I am worried about the crank, but again, I'd expect
something a lot more, well, just more.

Ideas?

Darren