Re[2]: [alfa] Re: DOT 5

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:06:07 -0400 Jeff Greenfield <alfaguy@domain.elided> wrote:
> My understanding is that moisture is absorbed into the brake system from the
> atmosphere. I don't really know how it gets in there, but it does.

easy, there's water in the air. air gets into the system simply because as the
brakes wear, the additional volume created in the hydraulic system has to
be filled somehow; it comes from the resevoir, which then gets air from
outside.

> Some years ago I bought a car that had been stored for quite some time, this
> car had silicone brake fluid in it. All the calipers were frozen. When I
> took them apart there was actually water in them that had separated out of
> the fluid.

this is the expected behavior. with glycol based fluids, water enters a
suspension in the fluid. with silicone based fluids, it settles in the bottom
instead.

for either type, regularly bleeding and occasional flushing of the system
is recommended. for cars driving on the track, replacement of fluid once
a  year is a good idea, more frequently if you drive on the track a lot.
this advice applies regardless of what fluid you are using.

richard