[alfa] 164 fuel smell - help?

Guys, I have a question for a friend who has a bad fuel smell in his '91 164.
Appears to be coming from the fuel filler hose area, did not smell anything in
the trunk. This topic has been discussed over and over again, but I never paid
too much attention since none of my three 164's ever had this problem. The
fuel smell in his car is intense, and nauseating. The fuel smell appeared
shortly after he bought the car (no work done to it since, so it's not like he
reconnected something poorly), but he did bring the car from sea level up to
6000ft where he lives in Colorado, which may have helped cause some leaks
because of reduced atmospheric pressure to oppose the tank pressure (?).
Any advice is appreciated.

Karl
'91 164L
'95 164LS