[alfa] re: Time for Brake MC

Is your mechanic nuts? Does he replace every brake component on every car he services before he adds brake fluid? Are you sure you heard him correctly. DOT 3/4 fluid and DOT 5 are certainly not compatible! Simply put, don't use DOT 5 fluid in any vehicle that's driven seriously. That stuff's for military trucks, Harleys, and museum piece vehicles. And I think some fools use it in go-kart racing, although I can't imagine why.

-Joe

At 8:13 PM +0000 10/22/03, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:51:50 -0700
From: "Stefano Iachella" <iachella@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Time for Brake MC

Cats,

Time for a new brake master cylinder for my Alfetta. My pedal
goes to the floor slowly. Pumping helps for a while, then back
down again. No external leaks. Am I right?

Questions about which to get. I have a set of GTV6 Brembo
calipers that will go on one day. I understand that the 22mm
is the better cylinder to use. I saw a website showing a 24mm
one. Is this a good upgrade for Brembo calipers, or overkill?
And does someone know what site that was? I thought is was
Spuell, but it doesn't seem to be there now.

My mechanic had mentioned he only uses DOT 5. I had a bottle
of DOT 3 and when the reservoir was very low a few months
ago, I filled up with it. Would this have anything to do with my
failure? Should I then purge the system when replacing and use
DOT 5?

Thanks,
Stefano
Oakland, CA