RE: [alfa] Re: Spica vs. carb-airbox

Previously, Damian Magista wrote:
"My carbed (true euro-spec) Berlina's airbox doesn't have any room for
'ram-tubes' inside the airbox. The airbox on carbed vehicles is truly
round while on the Spica cars it's oval shaped (to fit the tubes)."

And today, Kevin Trent replied:
"The problem is that, although the carb intake bore spacing matches
the Spica air box intake, the carbs themselves are longer than the Spica
throttle bores so that the Spica airbox is too wide and hence hits the side
of the engine bay."

My thinking on this had been along the lines of installing little short ram tubes -- they can be bought as short as 35mm in the carburettor airbox.  The actual plenum part of the box is an odd parallelogram-oid shape, and does have the length for 35mm ram tubes.  (The circular part simply contains the air-cleaner canister).  The height at the rear of the box would be a problem though -- there doesn't seem to be enough clearance for the wider diameter of the flared part of the tube against the bottom of the box.  I have toyed with the idea of picking up a couple of spare boxes, and cutting and welding them to make one deeper box that the tubes could be installed in.

Alternatively, the bent ram-tubes that originally came on Giulietta Veloce engines may fit in the stock box, as they were made for similar space critical applications.  They're still sold in reproduction form by some vendors.  I wonder if anyone has diagrams or dimensions anywhere?

Regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ
.