[alfa] Re: Spica vs.carbaribox

At 08:08 PM 10/13/03 +0000, you wrote:
<snip>
My carbed (true euro-spec) Berlina's airbox doesn't have any room for
'ram-tubes' inside the airbox. The airbox on carbed vehicles is truly
round while on the Spica cars it's oval shaped (to fit the tubes). I
have no idea if modifying a carbed box would improve performance at
all. I'm inclined to say no as the factory generally knew what they
were doing.
I've often played with the idea of adapting a Spica box to a carbed engine. IMHO, Spica box air horns would definitely help low and mid range torque. The problem is that, although the carb intake bore spacing matches the Spica air box intake, the carbs themselves are longer than the Spica throttle bores so that the Spica airbox is too wide and hence hits the side of the engine bay. The Spica box would need to have its four intake stubs (external to the box) cut off, then you would have to figure a way to bolt (or install studs on the box) to attach the box to the carbs. That is about the place my idle thinking runs out of viable options..

//kct, Powell, TN