Re: [alfa] gtwe6 elec'l problem

Doug:

You remind me of a (now) funny story. On the way back from our trip to the 1981 Detroit AROC National Convention. Third Week of the Trip -- We were heading toward Toronto and couldn't believe 'How polluted it smelled!' Sulfur-ey! Ugh! We expected better of Canada and Toronto. Sorry about that snap judgement, little did we know.

Well on to Niagara Falls, Buffalo across the Southern shores of the Great Lakes and South toward Louisville, KY, 70 mph . . . All of a sudden, Dash lights go out, instrument readings drop to zero and engine goes quiet. Coast to a stop and jump out, check alternator, nope belt not broken. Whoops no headlights . . . run to trunk, battery still connected . . . Pull those "Die" "Hard" caps off, faint sulfur smell and no water! Yes, our Delco Alternator's regulator had stopped regulating. Adding water to the battery (after a couple of hours getting a service truck) and the car started right up.

Yes, it's your regulator. The high voltage has been driving your relays nuts. Get your alternator under control and all will be well. Meanwhile, check your battery water/acid level.

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett

dsedon@domain.elided wrote:

hi all,

the ghastly smell of sulfer the past coupla days is due to the boiling of my gtwe6's battery.  this has been accompanied by strange buzzing sounds from the relays at the fuse box.  (the buzzing noise stops when the brakes are applied.)

so, woltage regulator not regulating any more?  is this inside the alternator?  any suggestions as to r&r?  or, is it one of the buzzing relays that's causing this?

any/all help appreciated.

doug s., driving the werde...