[alfa] 146 security / key problems

Hi group,

US members should probably look away now, unless they want a chuckle of wry
satisfaction at the tribulations of those in current Alfa markets...

I've just bought a 146 Ti, 1997 (on a 'P' plate for those who understand the
UK's licensing nomenclature).

The car should have (as I understand it) 3 keys; one of these is a dark red
and is the 'master' and the other two are bright red (and presumably should be
called slaves or servants or suchlike).  Unfortunately the car came with one
of the bright red keys only.

I should have done my research... After two days the car cuts out and won't
run, and there is a code error message on the dash.  A call to a couple of
Alfa dealers elicits the information that without the master key I will need
the entire security system replacing (including an ECU in the car) to sort
this out and get me a spare key.  Cost, over #1000 ukp (say $1,500 usd).  This
is more than the car (one owner / air con / leather interior / 80k miles etc.)
cost; I wonder why :-(.

You can imagine my displeasure.  My question for the group (finally, I know is
whether anyone knows of a shortcut to avoid this major surgery/expense?  It's
crazy to have to spend the value of the car just to get around the security
measure designed to protect your own property - imagine a burglar alarm that
forced you to pay for your home twice over before you were allowed in to
sleep! I'd be happy to live with it without the high-tech key system, and put
up with the added risk of theft.

Has anyone been through this or know someone who has?

Suggestions please!!!

William Corke
Dorking, Surrey