[alfa] Valve spring compressor

As Peter Webb so aptly points out, one does not need a valve spring
compressor to change shims. Big time brain fade. Only excuse is that I
was discussing changing valve springs in situ with a friend recently and
he suggested I should try to find the original Alfa tool or the
equivalent. So with that firmly planted in my head...

Valve shims: I have about 50. Anyone have a bunch (not been ground down)
they want to trade or (?). Yeah, IAP offers them for $3.55 each or $638
for both complete sets. If I did lots of engines, I'd probably get the
sets or at least set #1 as most of the shims I generally need would be
in that box.

I wouldn't be lucky as far as trading shims goes since all but one shim
needs to be thicker. Whoever rebuilt the engine last appears to have
known engines, just not the subtleties of the Alfa 4-cylinder. The cam
chain is way too tight and when lining up the camshaft / front bearing
marks, the TDC pointer is about 5 degrees before TDC. Oh well, I have my
trusty sparkplug / TDC dial gauge and have to remove the pointer anyway
to install the tach cable drive gears in the water pump (that really
sounds weird doesn't it, but it's where Mr. Alfa and Mr. Romeo deemed to
put them).

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

I do thank Benjamin unnh <budwiser> for his suggestion of checking with
Sykes-Pickavant for the valve spring compressor.