[alfa] Engine cleaning (and detailing)

Engine cleaning / detailing: Jeff Greenfield gives a very good answer to
Mark Denovich's question as to how to get his engine's block as purty as
some of the shiny engines Mark has seen (apparently around the
Pittsburgh, PA area).

Obviously one needs to totally disassemble the engine to hot tank. My
machinist does hot tank them for me and apparently knows when enough is
enough. However, they do turn out a wee bit on the dull side. Actually
I'll be doing a final exterior washing on a 2 liter today. To be honest,
I don't get too carried away with the block. If it had stains, I'd
certainly use Jeff's idea. Also I'm afraid if I went to that much
trouble, then I'd like it so much I'd have to do it on all the engines
from now on (very small happy face).

Once all of the peripheral components are on the engine, you really
don't see that much of the block. And if all of these items have been
detailed to a fare thee well, the engine will be close to concours
(assuming your idea of fare thee well is the same as the judges).

My initial question is what does one do with the cam cover? I've done
red wrinkle, black wrinkle, black powder coating, bead blasted, bead
blasted with dull clear coat, and oh yeah - highly polished. I've
actually heard of people leaving them alone. Wow, what a concept!
Actually I was slightly buffing out the two throttle bodies (gentle wire
brushing with a 6" wheel, then finishing up with an SOS pad. I'm
guessing it looks pretty much like it did when it popped out of the
mold. Wouldn't be a bad finish for a cam (I suppose) but I like the wow
factor when I lift my (and other's lift their) hood.

I'm somewhat guessing that is what Mark is looking for - or at least,
for the moment, is jealous of.

Gonna throw in a little non-original chrome? Then one has to deal with
(most likely a really rusty exhaust). Unfortunately if it's a siamesed
four, sandblasting and coating is about as good as it's gonna get. To
somewhat interrupt this trip down the engine detailing lane, Jeff Thraen
stopped by yesterday to show me a killer red with carbon fiber shell
racing seat for his 'new' race car in the making. Loved the separate
pads for the legs so that when braking, for instance, it doesn't
interfere with the clutch leg (in the US). Then he pulls out a
reproduction GTA header. Since I had to find some fault, told him I
preferred the header 'snakes' to be one piece, rather than welded up
shorter lengths, but, yeah, I was jealous. He also mentioned a new toy,
but since it's not Alfa related, I won't bring it up.

I do feel it is often the little details after taking care of the big
stuff that really makes one engine stand out from another. Cleanliness
is next to Mother Natureness (you pray to who you want, and I'll do the
same). Either black zinc or silver plate or have irridite plated
(depending on year). Among a whole bunch of engine (and other) parts for
the '69 (yeah, with '79 engine) I'll be including the Spica hard lines.

Obviously I could go on, but feel it is safe to say if one is stripping
down an engine and rebuilding it themselves AND detailing it (to a fare
thee well), you'll spend more time on the latter.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA