[alfa] Re: Engine Cleaning

I don't work quite as hard, but still get good results.  After all the crud
is removed . . . wire brush, solvent tank, etc., I head to the
do-it-yourself carwash with a handful of quarters and a bottle of NAPA's
aluminum wheel brightener.  After degreasing the engine with the soap cycle,
I wet it thoroughly with the wheel brightener and let if foam for several
minutes . . . wash and spray with brightener several times and then rinse.
By this time all oil will be removed from the steel studs left in the
engine.  Spray with WD-40 to stop the rusting, and blow off the water when
you get back to the shop.  You can see the results on the twinspark engine
shown on my web site www.autocomponenti.com/new.htm.

Don't use the wheel cleaners on an engine in the car.  It will brighten the
engine, but also remove all zinc and cadmium plating it touches.  Any flaws
in the underhood paint will show up as rust spots in a couple days.

-- -- --
Jim Steck, AutoComponenti
ph: (937) 884-5142
email: jim@domain.elided