[alfa] Re:147 GTA in Automobile mag.

Having driven a 147 GTA for about 3000 miles in Italy recently, I can attest to the fact the 147 GTA IS "the most desirable hatch that ever was." If they were available in the USA RIGHT NOW, I would own one - no question about it. The car isn't perfect, mind you. The boot area behind the rear seat, for instance, is pretty skimpy - only really big enough for one 30" soft-sided airplane bag - two, if you stack them. Together they will fill the entire "trunk" and make it impossible to close the parcel shelf and damned difficult to close the hatch but it can be done. The car is a veritable rocket sled. The most fun I had was leaving a gas station on the Italian Autostrade with my foot to the floor in each and every gear. The 0-60 time of 6.2 seconds doesn't tell the entire story. After 60, there is no let-up in acceleration until you are in 6th and way north of 130! I only got it to an indicated 150 (~240 K/h), and then only once. There was still more after that, but I ran into traffic. The car handles beautifully for a FWD automobile, a little understeer as one might expect given that big, heavy motor up front, but it's not bad. Turn-in is crisp and the less than 2-turns lock-to-lock steering makes the car very responsive, but since it's progressive, it's not twitchy like one would expect such fast steering to be. The one I drove had a manual gearbox- not a paddle shift "Selespeed" and the box felt solid, with good positive shifts. The huge 245 X 17 wheels that were fitted to the car I had made the car stick like glue, but it also made the car tramline badly on concrete -quite disconcerting at high speed to have the lines in the concrete feel like they're trying to jerk the steering wheel out of your hand. The factory setting for the shocks on the car I had was really stiff. The car cornered flat, but rough roads coupled with a short wheelbase made for a somewhat choppy ride. The Bose Stereo, as fitted, sounded very good, but in my opinion, the Fiat "Connect" navigation/communication/entertainment center is next to worthless.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0'S'

On Friday, October 10, 2003, at 02:04 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 22:26:04 -0700
From: Jorge Mazlumian <jmazlumian@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] 147 GTA in Automobile mag.

The November issue of Automobile magazine has an article called "The Three
Must-have-heres", about the 147 GTA, the Ford Focus RS and the Honda Cicic
Type-R. Even though the GTA was praised in several areas, the Ford was
prtrayed as the overall winner. The comparison was among 3 cars that the
only thing in common they have is the fact they hatchbacks. The Alfa is a
heavy (but sweet and powerful) V6, the Focus is a 2 liter turbo, and the
Honda, a high performance n/a 2 liter. Prices are 30K, 26K and 21K base,
respectively.
But they say: "And the Alfa may be the most desirable hatch that ever was".
Enjoy
Jorge Mazlumian