[alfa] Refinishing Magnesium Wheels

I have an older set of GTA wheels that need refinishing. There are multiple layers of paint on them. I brought them to a wheel refinisher who asked me what color I wanted them painted. I had suggested just blasting them and put a clear coat. He said that would not work. He said something about it not staying on for more than a few months.
So now the questions. Why wouldn't it be possible to just clear coat the wheel? If it need to be painted, what is the correct color? Can I just have them blasted and left unfinished?
Thanks for sharing your input.
Deno in CT