[alfa] (akfa) Shankle Quadra flow

Digesti,

If you believe the different length and diameter of the Quadra flow air
intake tubes is beneficial, the way around the hotter engine bay air issue
is thus: Use the Shankle intake tubes and air filter backing plates, and
build a cold air box using the backing plates as the engine side of the air
box. A hardware store clothes dryer vent fitting can be used as a transition
piece at the front, allowing a flexible air hose routed to behind the grille
area where a generic round K & N air filter is attached.

I used 1 in. Aluminum angle and sheet, and pop riveted the box together with
the angles on the inside. Dimensions are 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 15. It should
really be sortened to 13 in. long to eliminate slight interference with the
underneath of the the hood at the outside front of the box. I also removed
the original sheet metal air channel near the radiator mount to allow room
for the rectangular air hose.

I like to think I have the best of both stock and Shankle air induction. The
shorter and larger intake tubes move the power peak to a higher RPM that is
more suitable to the autocross use for my 76 Spider (right, Jim Steck?).
With a little polishing, the cold air box even looks good....

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY
76 Spider
91 Spider Veloce