[alfa] Re: Recent Aquisition, Bad Idea?

>hey guys,
>I just bought a 74 Spider to restore:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2435397306
>The owner stated that the floor boards have rust holes in them, it will
>need a new top - but the back window is good, seats are torn. And well,
>the car has been sitting for 15 years.
>Was this is a smart purchase or did I get in over my head?
>And no, I haven't seen the car yet.
>I hope it was a good idea.

>~Tom
>1974 Spider 2000
>1989 Turbo Trans Am #718

Tom,

No one can tell you whether you made a smart purchase or not. Everyone has
their own ideas as to what is a good and bad deal, and how much time and money
they are willing to invest in something and still have it be a viable
alternative to spending more money on something requiring less work. That being said, I
would say your purchse price was good, as you will probably be spending
plenty of money elsewhere. Regardless of how you look at it, you now own an almost
30 year old car. There are many wear items which will have done so, either
through use or age. Even though it has been sitting for nearly half of it's life,
this will potentially bring other problems into play. All of my negativity
aside, the car has low miles and the exterior looks to be in good condition
(tough to tell for sure from pictures). I own two older Alfas personally, a '71
and a '72 Berlina, and they are a blast. If you are just looking to fix up the
glaring problems and not get too detail oriented, I think you should have
yourself a very fun, enjoyable car. My final piece of semi-unsolicited advice is
don't worry about whether it was a good idea or not. Regardless of what happens,
the car has already been purchased. Why waste time with buyer's remorse?
Remember that owning an Alfa is having a relationship with it. Embrace your
purchase, invest in your relationship, and enjoy the rewards.

-Josh
'71 1750 Berlina
'72 2000 Berlina
'84 GTV6