[alfa] Re: Quadraflows

Jorge Mazlumian wrote:

The original claim of "average 7 horsepower increase over the stock Alfa air
filter", according to the Alfa Ricambi manual, has always been questioned.
The theoretical increase in flow is offset by the hotter engine bay air at
the intake, as opposed to the fresh cool air rammed into the spica airbox.
The solution?  K&N filters for the Spica box.  Proven beneficial?  I think
not.

**************************
Several years I did a test using a friends 1974 SCCA ITB GTV during a dyno
session. It was February in Los Angeles, so the temperature, while not cold, was
mild and a fan was blowing air through the radiator. The car was equipped
with Quadraflows because of the claimed horsepower gain.

After an hour or so of making adjustments to maximize horsepower, we
installed my Spica airbox equipped with K&N filters. The results were that we got from
3 to 4 more horsepower using the airbox over the Quadraflows which were
promptly sold at the next swap meet.

Granted, the Quadraflows do give more access to the right side of the engine
and are easier to remove and replace, but all in all, I would stick with the
stock Alfa airbox and use K&N filters. John Shankle may have been an excellent
race driver but the Alfa Romeo engineers probably knew what they were doing a
just a little better than he.

However if you don't care about the power loss and like the look and sound of
the Quadraflows, then keep and enjoy them.

John Thompson
Sylmar, Calif.
1974 GTV