[alfa] Re: Re: Transmission Question

Charlie, Reverse will pop when the console is off so it is not a matter
of interference. As well as changing the transmission mounts, the engine
mounts were changed at the same time and it still pops reverse. AJ>AJ, >
Is your transmission popping out of reverse because it is interfering

with the console/boot? That's a typical problem and is not the fault of

the >transmission internals. It's because the motor or transmission
mounts >are shot (or the console is misaligned - sometimes, rarely, the
gearshift >too). > Put the car in reverse and check >to see if you have
plenty of clearance between the boot and console. If >they are rubbing,
that's your problem. > >Cheers, >Charlie >

I had a similar problem way back when I had my 69 Berlina.. my mechanic at the time thought it was
something to do with a slightly bent shift rod (?) if I remember correctly. I think it was the rod that handles
reverse and 5th can get bent at a machined point (or where the screw for the shift fork goes thru it?) the resulting
bend will allow reverse to pop it back out.. you don't pop out of 5th due to forces going the other way?

This is all foggy 20 yr old memories.. maybe someone can confirm this a possible cause.

As I recall, the fix was to pull the transmission and get that rod out of there and either straighten it or replace it.
I think you had to pull it to do that. It was a big enough hassle that I didn't get it fixed, drove the car for several
years developing the habit of holding the knob while in reverse. Blake said the less it pops out of gear, the less progression of the problem there would be, and it did seem to not get worse..

Hope this helps..

Jon and Marcia
77 Spider (bought her a set of Ward and Dean street springs, that should make her happy)