[alfa] Re: Japanese auto

The Japanese make good cars, no doubt about it, they are reliable, well screwed together, long lasting and the sporty ones also handle well and some even go real fast. During the "Japanese Supercar" era of the 1980's and early '90's cars like the Mitsubishi 3000, The Toyota Supra, the Nissan 300 XZ twin-turbo gave Ferrari/Porsche-like performance for less than $40K and were a great bargain. On the other hand. I've never driven a Japanese car that satisfied the way a British sports car or a German sports car, and especially an Italian sports car satisfies. I think it has a lot to do with them being cars designed by engineers who take the train to work. I.E., the numbers are certainly there alright, but where's the "soul"?

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0'S'

On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 02:46 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:12:50 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
From: Steven Luftman <sluftman@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Re: Japanese auto

- -----Original Message-----

I apologise for the off-topicness here, but I do get tired of the Japanese
constantly being referred to as copyists. There have been many fine Japanese
cars and enthusiasts are better off for them. Think of the outlandish Yamaha
OX99-11, Jiotto Caspita, 1989 300ZX, the Datsun 240Z, the Toyota 2000GT, the
Mazda AZ1, Honda Beat, Suzuki Cappuccino (sic) - all cars enthusiasts can get
excited about. I have a particular fondness for the wild "kei cars" -
designed
to fit in strict size limitations as imposed by the Japanese government, the
more exciting versions feature 660cc turbocharged 4- or 5-valve per cylinder
engines, feature all-wheel drive and are smaller than the original Mini.

Ciao
- -------
Well put Joe.

let's stop bashing, enthusiast and their cars come from all countries.
Steve