[alfa] 164 radio/amp cut out issue- any recommendations on problem or replacements?

My 1995 164Q has the tape deck with CD changer in the trunk. This is the stock system (now known as Eclipse?). The volume will completely cut out on a regular basis for several seconds at a time. It does this on any mode (CD, Tape, Radio). Does anyone know if this is typically the amp or the actual head unit? I am suspecting the amp. If it is the amp, any recommendations on replacements? I assume the head-unit (in the dash) only has speaker-level outputs (as opposed to RCAs) that run to the amp. So, could I use any decnt amp that has speaker level inputs and fits under the passenger seat?

Has anyone had this problem and resolved it? I would like to keep the same head-unit if possible. If I need to ungrade the amp, so be it.

Thanks,

-Jason Hagen

'96 164Q
'73 Spider