[alfa] re: 105/115 front heat shield

In AD v9n840, Ken wrote:

>  The front heat shield  on 105 and 115 Alfas fit underneath the car screwed

>  to the floorpan above the front muffler/resonator.
<snip>
>  Are replacements available (I've never seen them advertised)?
Dunno, you can try calling APE  ... but read on.

>  Can they be deleted entirely - or will the drivers feet cook?
I'd suggest putting some sort of heat shield in place, even if its just a
piece of sheet aluminum.

>  The form of the heat shield is fairly simple, and I believe I could
fabricate the basic
>  form.  But the insulation is a problem, any suggestions?
A couple of suggestions for you:

1. Try making up two heat shield forms from aluminum and putting them on with
a small (a fraction of an inch) air gap between them. You'll find
cookie/baking sheets like this at your upscale kitchen stores (hmmmm, a new
supplier).

2. Make two forms, as per above, but locate some ceramic cloth insulation (I
think that's the term) used in lining boilers and place it between the two
sheets. I had some installed in my old oil burning house boiler/furnace as
insulation inside the fire pot and it worked great. It's a non-toxic
replacement for
asbestos.

I suggest the aluminum for three reasons - 1. it doesn't rust/corrode as
quickly as steel; 2. it has better heat transfer characteristics (to this
untrained person, YMMV); and 3. it's lighter. Number three is the most
important, of
course ... :-)

HTH

Tom
Seattle
6310123 (no heat shield ... currently no heat generated to shield)
7711615 (similar heat shield, made from aluminum ... aluminium in the rest of
the English speaking world)