RE: [alfa] Gas Filler Boot

Of
> Jmklig@domain.elided
> Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 10:25 AM
> To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
> Subject: [alfa] Gas Filler Boot
>
> Does anyone know if the rubber boot around the gas filler pipe in a
(1982)
> Spider can be replaced without removing the gas tank?  How does it
attach
> to the body?  Any other tips?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jon Kligerman
> 82 Spider

Jon,
The filler neck assembly is bolted to the inside of the quarter panel.
The bolts can be reached from inside the trunk.  The rubber spill catch
that you see when filling the tank is a slip fit.  It can be carefully
removed by using the bicycle tire removal method.  If dry rotted, that
part can tear easily.  The entire assembly can be removed without
removing the gas tank.  I had to remove my entire gas tank to get it
boiled and treated.  Removing the gas tank was not fun.  The filler-neck
assembly was easy.

Richard Arnold
'73 Spider
'75 Spider (Parts car)