Re: [alfa] SPICA Fuel System another opinion

FWIW, My Spider came with Spica when it was new in 1979 and it needed
at least a yearly checkup by an EXPERT US Alfa mechanic to make sure
that it was set up right; it ran great.  When the car was but two
years old I got a job in Germany and took the car with me.  After
about a year, the car needed its yearly maintenance and the SPICA needed
an adjustment.  I took the car to an Alfa mechanic and asked him if he
could work on SPICA cars, he said no problem.  After a week the guy had
the pump out of the car and disassembled and said that he was working on
it but that it would be okay.  After a month he told me that the pump was
KAPUT and that it need either a new pump or carbs.  By now I understood that
in Europe they did not use or know SPICA.  I decided to switch since I was
going to be in Europe another three years.  I installed Dellortos and to
my delight and surprise they need NO ADJUSTMENT once they are set up, for
years, not months.  Twenty years after I made the change I have just
removed and "overhauled" the carbs, only needed a disassembly, good cleaning

and replacing the gaskets, I also replaced the floats and needle valves just

for good measure.  I am sure that they will work for another 20 YEARS
without
any major overhauls or problems.
Just my two centavos.

Dan K.

P.S. I also installed a set of Alfa Veloce Racing Cams without a problem,
something that you can not do if you keep your SPICA.