Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 05:03 PM 9/24/2003, you wrote:

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:02:56 -0400
From: "Watry, Andrew (LNG-SFR)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] the old 115 trans oil question

As I mentioned recently, and someone else agreed, I changed the oil in my 73
Berlina transmission from whatever-was-in-there-from-Kragen to Shell Spirax
90, and think the action may be stiffer than before.  However, what I'm
fully realizing on further driving, is that the synchro action and shift
feel is much better when the oil is cold (coastal California cold: 50-70
degree F), than when it warms up.  That seem backwards to me, but is true in
my experience with this car.  Can someone explain why that might be?

I wonder if switching to a Redline synthetic would help shift feel and
synchro action both hot and cold?  One person recently recommended Redline
MTL for these transes, but I believe others use Redline MT 90, including one
local racer with a Giulietta (though I'm unsure what trans is installed).  I
assume they're different? Is MT 90 for pre-moly synchros, and MTL for moly
synchros?  I know this can get into a long discussion.  Thanks

Andrew Watry