[alfa] Alfetta instrument placement

To slightly paraphrase John H. 'the Alfetta instrument placement thing
has pretty much run its course'. (Not that John wouldn't haven't seen
the post anyway, but sent him one figuring he'd skip through the tach
placement part but might pick up on the background of the name
'Stradale' in connection with the 33/2 Alfas.

That said...

Dean Cains sent me a delightful jpg of a 33 Stradale. Are any of us
shocked? The tach is right where it is supposed to be - dead nuts
centered. He mentions riding with (hope you don't mind Dean) the owner
and seeing 9000 on the tach in 4th gear - and that it never got into 5th
or 6th (?? I thought they just invented the 6th gear about a year ago -
yes I'm kidding).

Joe Elliott asks about what critics are saying about three contemporary
cars which All have their instruments centered on the dash. My guess is
most think it is cute and unless they dislike the car in general,
probably don't say much regarding the dash.

Unfortunately that was not the case when the Alfetta GT came out. David
Owen's 1985 book 'Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT' makes the following statement
alongside a picture of the GTV6 dash - "Alfa interiors have long been
known for their eccentricities. This GTV6, in fact, proves to be less so
then the early Alfetta GT. Here things are much more normal and
familiar...".

Probably sums it up but perhaps this is the true Alfa litmus test - you
(excluding Joe E. here) want 'normal' and 'familiar' then of course you
won't like the Alfetta GT dash layout.

Then what the hell are you doing driving an Alfa in the first place If
you want 'normal' and 'familiar'?

Geeze Louise, this is why I'm attracted to the marque. What's your
excuse?

Okay, looking at the other side of the proverbial coin (as much as it
pains me)...the Alfetta GT, in somewhat stock form is not a race car.
Unfortunately I have a copy of Brooklands Road test 'book', 'Alfa Romeo
Alfetta Coupes GT - GTV - GTV6. Joseph Casba's design analysis (Alfa
Romeo Alfetta) in the 5/75 issue of 'Road Test' is quite mean spirited.
Unfortunately he makes lots of valid points - it is Not a race car; why
did Alfa spend a fortune developing and producing the 'undercarriage' -
torsion bar suspension, De Dion rear suspension along with transaxle -
then going on the cheap in the interior? Regarding body styling: "By
flattening the hood contour and sloping it down, and then raking the
windshield back more than was originally intended, the mass distribution
of the body shape has been badly unbalanced." Again are we shocked? His
comment on the 'engine speed indicator' in front of the driver is
"Clearly a mistake."

So's, all who want 'normal' and 'familiar' go stand over there, all who
cherish Alfa's eccentricities, come on down. Unnnnh, I said come on...

Oh well.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Of very little interest except to English majors and even then...: I'm
aware (double) quote marks are supposed to be used in such cases as when
including a book's title. I feel this is stupid. Yes, one is quoting the
title, but whenever I see double quote marks, I assume it is someone
speaking. In the case of my photo description quote from David Owen's
book, he might never have said the words aloud, but they were clearly
his thoughts.

Must say I feel hanging double quotes out the ass end, after the period,
question mark, etc. is absurd - especially in the day of digital type -
as opposed to hot metal or hand set type. However, I stick with it - but
never when using single quote marks.