[alfa] Re: Alfetta Suspension and Wheels

Tom:

I did a complete restoration on my 76 Alfetta Gt back in the mid to late 90's, and like you tried to "keep an Alfetta an Alfetta".  However, I did change the springs and shocks while keeping the stock ride height and the original size wheels and tires.  Frankly, the combination of Shankle red supersport springs and Koni yellow shocks (on full soft) with an otherwise stock suspension is not one that I would recommend.  The ride is very harsh and "crashy" over bumps, but the car still leans a lot.  It is pretty entertaining in certain instances, but for "regular" driving it is a poor compromise.  I replaced the rear springs because the originals were sagging badly and the Shankle supersports had the right installed length to return the car to stock ride height.

FYI, Alfetta turbinas are not that hard to find.  I bought an NOS set from a digester back in the 90's, and I won another set in a drawing at the 2002 AROC convention (since passed on to another Alfetta owner).  Those came from Al Cosentino at FAZA in Thousand Oaks, CA, so he may still have some.

Keep in mind that there are two designs of the Alfetta "turbina".  The Cromadora version is labeled "Campanatura 45".  The version sold by Cosentino is made by Campagnolo.  They differ in detail, such as having 3 vs. 5 indentations in the pattern.  Thus, be careful if buying wheels from different sources or parts cars, since they may not match and you will notice the difference.

Contact me off digest and I can share my tales of woe with assorted OEM and aftermarket exhaust systems.

Regards,

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
Gilbert, AZ USA