[alfa] 164 auto tranny sticks in Park

My 1994 164LS has had intermittant problems in trying to shift out of Park.
Half the time it works properly.  At others times the first few attempts will
not budge it.  Then for some reason (that doesn't seem related to wiggling it)
it drops down and acts fine.

When you do get it into Drive, the transmission actually works pretty well.
Even for 143,000 miles.

I replaced the shift handle, since the car came to me with an incorrect 91-93
T-grip handle.  Didn't make a difference.

I can remove the shift handle and just actuate the shift lever by hand.  This
shows that the new handle is not to fault.

Has anyone here run into this before?  What should I try next?  Every once in
a while I really get nervous - thinking I will be stuck in Park forever, and
not be able to continue saying:  "Well, an Alfa has never stranded me..."

-mike mcmahon
Stafford, TX
94 164 LS
86 grad