[alfa] more on '77 spider cooling problem

Hi again,
Thanks to those who already responded - I've got a couple more data points that might help toward the solution:
1) I tested the coolant temp. sender today in a measuring cup full of hot water, and compared the gauge readings to those on a meat thermometer stuck in the measuring cup. I could never get the temp. gauge to read above 160-ish, even though the meat thermometer read 180-200 degrees (the improvised ground wire I used was pretty thin, could that cause this?). So I can probably assume that the gauge is not reading higher than actual values.
2) On another note, the gauge seems to be affected by acceleration, cornering, etc., reading slightly higher or lower depending on if the car is accelerating, braking, or turning left or right - but overall it still reads higher than it used to.
3) This problem showed up right after I installed the electric fan. The car ran a steady 180 almost all the time, except on hot days, when it might have gone as far as 190. I haven't replaced any parts on the cooling system since then, and there are no leaks. Now the temperature creeps up above 212, at which point I chicken out and stop to let it cool off.
4) This problem appears under heavy load or in slow traffic. Yesterday it showed up while I was driving up a curvy road over the coastal hills. The only time under heavy load that it doesn't show up is when I am driving on the freeway, at which point I assume enough wind is blowing through, fan or not, that the engine stays cool.
As always, any suggestions are appreciated. I'm guessing my next step is to have the radiator serviced.
Thanks
Chris Keen
'77 spider
Los Altos, CA