[alfa] RE: Fuel hoses etc

Hi All,

I have been out of circulation for a while.  A business trip to Mozambique (previously
Portugese East Africa) had me aghast at the sorry state of cars in that locality!

Anyway, I noticed a thread on the correct fuel hoses to use for FI cars.  Some folks said
you could use low pressure hose for the return line.  Well, in most cases they are sort of
right, but one of the tests to see if the fuel pump is giving the correct "stalled
pressure" is to pinch off the return line and measure the pressure.  A scroll type pump -
as used in most EFI setups - will deliver maximum pressure when the return line is pinched
off.  Numbers run from 6 to 9bar for a typical Bosch EFI fuel pump.  That is 90 to 135psi
in Imperial speak.  So the flexible hose from the fuel pressure regulator to the hardline
needs to be equal to the delivery line if it isn't going to pop!

IMHO I would only use 17bar (250psi) rated hoses for the whole system.

John
Durban
South Africa
Alfetta turbo