[alfa] RE: 164 zig and zag

Ok, I stand corrected, I am working off the previous owner's info. It's a
2/90 build, but I have seen one when I was selling them new in the early
90's. There was a red 91 L with an 89 build, it was 3 years old when it
sold new in 92. Amazing, $32K sticker, sold for $19,800 to unload it.
Imagine the floorplan bill on that one!

Brad, it's a legit USA car, it was an ARDONA corporate demo, but sold at
7400 miles in Boston Mass.

Anyone have experience with the install of these spacers? A solution? This
is the only thing tarnishing this very nice car. An on lift inspection
today disclosed nothing and all mechanicals are tight as new.

I'm trying to understand suspension geometry to diagnose this. It seems
something would have to shift or flex to allow it to do the action. I'm
known this car for the last 4 years and watched thousands go into it at
work to maintain it, no expense spared. The axles appear to be dead level,
do they need some angle to help? Can that little 10mm or so spacer really
make that much difference? I want to use logic, not guessing.

My 91 Base (Sofia) has slightly more grunt with the Stebro, but pulls hard
and straight. Motor mounts are newer and in good shape.

Any wisdom appreciated.

AB

At 11:20 PM 9/17/2003, Brad Anesi wrote:
>Bill-  Is this a "USA spec" car or one that got in through the backdoor?
>I'm inclined to think the later, as the earliest USA spec car I've ever seen
>had a 1/90 build date.  But I suppose it's possible some 89's were official
>imports.
>
>Any way, the spacer thing didn't happen until mid 1990 - June 1990 or so.
>My 3/90 built car does NOT have the spacers.  I'm not aware of any other
>changes that happened along with the spacers.  Obviously you'd need an
>alignment if you were to install a set on an early car.
>
>Let us know how this works out.
>
>Brad
>------------------------------
>
>From: "AlfaBill LLC /alfabill.com" <mail@domain.elided>
>Subject: [alfa] 164 that zigs....
>
>Hi digestibles;
>
>I need some help from some of the European/non USA owners or maybe a USA
>owner.
>
>I just acquired a beautiful 91 164 L 5 speed, I dare say one of the nicest
>around for it's age. Garaged, pampered and in wonderful condition, along
>with full service records since day one, one owner. ($24K in maintenance
>receipts (!) ) 16" Euro wheels, new Michelins, needless to say, I am very
>happy to have it here with the other 3 164s that call Rancho AlfaBill their
>home.
>
>So here's the catch.... It's an early build car, 1989. As I remember, the
>early cars were famous for torque steer. This car is tight. New rack 6
>months ago, New struts, bearings, PowerFlex bushings, everything is new! I
>mean tight. But when you accelerate, (even gently) it pulls a little to the
>right, and when you let off it drops off to the left. I have had 7 164s and
>none have done this. It's a bit unsettling.
>
>Alfa made some mods with the sub frame spacers. This car does not have the
>10mm or so spacers. What other mods were made to the later cars to combat
>the torque steer, if that's what I have?

Bill Harkell
AlfaBill LLC
Tampa Florida USA
http://www.alfabill.com