[alfa] Fumes in Spider cockpit

Digesti,

Recently I had occasion (i.e., rain) to drive my
new-to-me Spider with the top and windows up for an
extended distance for the first time, and I have
discovered a disconcerting problem:  some noxious fume
is invading the passenger compartment, I believe from
the vents.  There is a bit of odor, but the most
telling indication was that my and my wife's eyes
began burning after a while.  I suspect exhaust, but I
don't know what other malignant vapors might be
swirling around.

Neither the AC nor heater were on.  It doesn't sound
like there is an exhaust leak north of the tail pipe.
I have noticed that at speed there is a fairly strong
flow of air through the top dashboard vents; I don't
know if that's normal or not.  I've only had the car a
few weeks, and it has thus far seen little use (due to
a trip to the car hospital for suspension work and a
vacation).

Any thoughts about where to start looking for this
problem will be appreciated.

Chuck King
86 Spider Grad