[alfa] Carabiners

In a message dated 9/15/2003 1:52:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:06:34 -0400
> From: Mark Denovich <mark@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Verde Update
>
> <snip>
> For the most part it went rather smoothly, albeit slowly.   The only
> real excitement was the engine nearly falling off the hoist.   I
> misplaced one of the carabiners I usually use attach the chain to the
> lifting eyes.   I substitued a Master lock, thinking it would be more
> than strong enough...  it wasn't and it snapped.   Fortunately, the
> engine didn't hit the ground (or one of us) as the other lifting eye
> took all the weight.   I won't be pulling that stupid trick again.
> <snip>
>
> - --Mark

       Carabiners are great for pulling engines and other things.  I had my
race car on the car trailer with twin rear axle straps attached to chains with
two carabiners.  A fisherman pulled out in front of me.  I got on the brakes
hard enough to flat spot both front tires on the motorhome and my trailer hitch
was almost torn off the frame.  But the carabiners held.
       I did replace the carabiners after that incident although they
appeared un damaged.  Look for carabiners at any outdoor store.  They are designed
for mountain climbing, in case you did not know.  I try to get those with a
5,000 pound or greater rating.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City