[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #793

At 4:49 AM +0000 9/15/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:47:51 -0700
From: dlou <dlou@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #793

 From: George Graves <gmgraves@domain.elided>

 Just that right-rear Q-panel? I'd get that fixed. Get a good one from
 APE. I'll bet if you shop it around, supply your own "new" panel, you
 could get it done a repainted for $2-3K.

 On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 09:11 AM, alfa-digest wrote:
 > P.S. I posted a couple pics if you are curious:
 > http://dlou.home.sonic.net/bentalfa
Did you miss the 3rd picture where it shows that the
passenger door frame was deformed to the point of the door not opening
without considerable effort?  And also, as I mentioned in the 1st
post, it's crabbing right.

But hey, if you want a shot at it, I plan on paying the salvage fee
and I'll be open to any offers after that.

- -Dennis
Sunnyvale, CA
85 GTV6 (a bit bent)
I'm not bodywork expert, but I'd be tempted to think of that not so much as the B-pillar having been pushed into the door, but rather the fender panel having been pushed into the door. If the door latching mechanism still works, and the only binding is that which is shown in the picture, I wouldn't be too worried. The crabbing sounds bad until you realize how the DeDion axle is located--by the Watts linkage, which is attached to the car right where impact loads are delivered to frame from the bumper. Seriously, Dennis, don't write it off until a reputable body shop tells you it's shot. I'm tempted to think that the damage is really pretty superficial from a structural standpoint.

-Joe Elliott