[alfa] Re: Berlina suspension suggestions

At 09:27 PM 9/11/03 +0000, you wrote:
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:36:36 -0600
From: "Stephen D. Thompson" <thompsonlaw@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Re: Rain in Seattle and seeking Berlina suspension suggestions

<snip>
> I am getting ready to re-do my 71 Berlina suspension.  The
front needs at least one ball joint.  The rear needs springs.  I may do the
shocks at the same time, but may be able to use what is one there.  If I
replace, I was thinking Koni Reds or Bilsteins.  My biggest issue is where
to get new rear springs.  I do not want to lower too much and understand
that most of the parts suppliers have springs designed for Spiders and GTVs
but not as tall as stock Berlina springs.  I am not opposed to lowering a
little if that is the overall best option.  I suppose I could use spacers
with the IAP or Centerline springs for Spiders and GTVs.  I am interested in
a sporty suspension for twisty mountain roads and it wouldn't hurt my
feelings to reduce the Berlina body roll a little if that wouldn't otherwise
hurt handling.  It will not be an autocross car.  Has anyone been through
this on their Berlina?  I am sure there are many opinions about the
different shocks available, but I am more interested in the overall springs,
ride height question.  Thanks in advance.
Below is my experience with two Berlina suspension rebuilds: the red "sport" Berlina, built for speed and handling; and the grey "utility" Berlina, built for hauling and towing heavy loads.

First, this is what is common to both rebuilds: On the front, I replaced the lower wishbone inner bushings, lower ball joints, upper control arms (using the adjustable kind so it can be aligned with 1/2 degree of negative camber) with new inner bushings and caster bushings, front caster ball joints. I also replaced all the sway bar bushings and end links using polyurethane on the center. The rubber spring pads were replaced. Any tie rod ends with play or broken rubbers are replaced.

At the rear, the trailing arms got new bushings front and rear, and the trunnion bushings were done in polyurethane at the center with new poly spacers at the side. The rear sway bar got poly center bushings and new end link bushings.

Koni red shocks are used front and rear, and the wheels are 14x6 BWA Sportstars.

The red '73 Berlina uses Shankle super sport springs, 195/65 tires, and the shankle heavy rear sway bar. This car is lower than stock, nearly 2 inches in front and 1.5 in the rear, and handles great, very flat with little body roll and has a very comfortable ride. It does not tolerate real heavy loads such as 4 adults, but is fine for two large adults and luggage for a weekend.

The grey '71 Berlina's suspension was designed to accommodate what the red berlina could not do. The front springs are stock from a '74 Berlina, but with 3/4 coil cut off which lowers it about 1.25 inch. The rear springs also came from a 74 rubber bumper Berlina - the late rubber bumper Berlinas were much heaver than the 1750 and early 2000 and had heavier springs. The result is a sedan slightly lower in front, but slightly higher in the rear than stock, and 195/70 tires are used. This car has a tow hitch and is used to pull a 16' aluminum boat and all the crap necessary for a week long trout slaying trip, heavy stuff. It is also used to tow other alfas, from as far as 1000 miles away using a tow bar. These springs allow the grey berlina to be heavily loaded without sagging the rear. This car also handles well, but sits higher and leans more than the red Berlina.

Rebuilding the front and rear suspensions on any old 105/115 alfa makes them drive like new, and is one of the first things I do when renovating a daily driver candidate. Your choice of springs and shocks will depend on how you intend to use the car. I really like the Koni shocks, and feel they work better on these old alfas than gas shocks. The suspension rebuild can be done by the home mechanic, but the job is dirty and takes a fair amount of time. I would bet paying a mechanic to do the work would be expensive.

Good luck. //kct, Powell, TN