[alfa] Re: crank locking tool

In a message dated 9/14/03 9:16:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Jason writes:

>  As said before, rope.  Clean rope put in through the spark plug hole on
the
>  compression stroke so as not to bend a valve.
<snip>
> Can anyone point out a deficiency with this approach?  I was surprised not
>  to have been chastised for it yet...

Jason,

As the one who asked about the crank tool in the first place, I thought I'd
respond here. I'm still getting good suggestions from people, so I haven't
responded to anyone until now. Thanks for all the suggestions to date. I'll post a
summary in a day or so.

The rope idea is certainly attractive to me, the 'clean' part you mentioned
in this post is my biggest concern, so far. I've mentally gone through what, if
anything, that could be damaged by the rope method and can't think of much.
The only fear I have is leaving something terrible in the cylinder when
finished.

I, too, would like to hear some discussion of this method. Thoughts, anyone?

Tom
Seattle