[alfa] RE: Spider clutch pins

Hi Peter, and group:

Where would one weld the pivot for reinforcement?  I ended up installing a
part I had in my spares, that was probably from a '72 Spider.  I chose that
one specifically because the weld looked so much more substantial that the
one on the broken part from my '87.  The '87 weld looked like a solder
joint, where the weld material had built up a fillet between the two
pieces, but didn't seem to become integral with the either of the two
pieces.   The '72 weld looked much more like it had penetrated both
pieces.  I'm not sure if that's better, as I'm no welder, but it seemed so
to me.  Is that what you mean by reinforcing the weld?  There's no way to
weld on the other side of the pivot arm, as that side sits nearly flush
against the bushing in the pedal box.  FWIW, the pivot from my '87 broke on
the inner side of the arm, not on the weld side.  I've attached a small
picture of the broken part (that digesters won't get, sorry).  Actually,
pulling and replacing the pedal box was quite simple, except that both the
clutch and brake hydraulic systems have to be opened, and then bled, but I
was due for a brake fluid change, anyway.  Also, I stripped and repainted
the booster, and polished the pedal box, so that alone made the job
worthwhile.  Thanks for your input, Peter.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 12:11 PM 9/14/2003, you wrote:
>Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:06:33 -0400
>From: "Peter L. Krause" <pkrause@domain.elided>
>Subject: [alfa] RE: Spider clutch pins
>
>Dean, et al,
>
>I cannot recommend enough that you reinforce (by welding) the new pivot pin
>you get from any vendor. It's really important. The job is too much of a
>PITA to install one without making sure it won't do it again.
>
>- -Peter

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of clutch-pivot1.jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]