[alfa] Suspension bolt torque disaster

OK, We've somehow done it again..

Marcia and I were putting the spring pan back up, on our Spider's disassembled front suspension, and after she replaced the threaded rods with the original bolts, I had the job of torquing things up.

Well, the first one started tightening, and thinking I was perhaps flattening a slightly cupped washer I kept going.. and going... Sure enough, the (#*%^ thing no longer gets tighter. Not fully appriciating that disaster has happened, after all, the wrench was set to the right torque, (61-66 ft/lb, I set to 62) and another bolt firmed up and held nicely, earlier.. I tried a second bolt... the same thing happened!!

I now have the two outer (closer to the wheel) bolts of the spring pan with compromised threads, and no longer loosening.
Questions:

1. Can I trust the other bolt to hold while I cut off the nut or bolt head to get the other out? I'm assuming that both outer bolts having problems is a rather dangerous situation.

2. What's the best way to get these out, without risking a spring accident?

3. Since one is the special double ended bolt that is used to attach the swaybar link block to the spring pan, where can I find a replacement part?

4. Why the hell did this happen? Could it be my cheap torque wrench is way off? I didn't clean the threads completley, can some dirt cause failure? Were the nuts or bolt threads possibly damaged and ready to fail? Is there some thing we missed someplace about doing this job?

5. Should one always use brand new fasteners in cases like this?
This is very frustrating, since after a while languishing, we were making good progress towards getting the car back on the road lately.. and disturbing in that I either have a torque wrench that is very far off (I torqued the mains and rod bearings with that wrench!!!!) or the hardware holding the suspension together might be suspect. Or, it's something else.. I'm hoping the last.. and I'm going to go out and spend some real money on a GOOD torque wrench after all!

Anyone have an opinion whether a somewhat dirty bolt and nut, with a large amount of force on them (spring pan force from the pan flexing a bit) could do something like create enough localized heat to detemper the threads while being tightened? I'm guessing wildly here, hoping for some understandable explanation.
And hoping that someone else has been here, done that, figured out how to avoid it next time..

Thanks!

Jon and Marcia
77 Spider
Irvine CA