[alfa] Re: More Discussions about GTV-V8/Montreal/GTV-6

On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 12:23 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:07:13 +0200
From: Zak McGregor <zak@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #783

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 01:22:53 +0000
George Graves wrote:

Forget my last post. it's definitely a case engaging keyboard before
engaging brain. I've done a little research, and I have found the
following. The Montreal at 2892 lbs curb weight IS heavier than the
GTV-V8 which is 2866 lbs, and are both heavier than the GTV-6 which was
2668. Power to weight ratios of the GTV-V8 vs the Montreal are almost
identical at 151.54 hp/ton as opposed to 152.44 hp/ton respectively.
The GTV-6, OTOH is at a bit of a disadvantage here with but 130.58
hp/ton. ALL three cars have a 4.10 rear-end. The GTV-6 and the Montreal
have identical advertised top speeds of 132 mph, and the GTV-V8 is
supposedly 137 (!). Now the part that doesn't jibe. The 0-60 times for
all three cars are given as 7.6 for the Montreal, 9.3 (!) for the
GTV-V8, and 8.8 for the GTV-6 (but I used to regularly get 8.1s with my
stock 2.5 GTV-6). There is no way that I can see that the GTV-V8 with
almost the identical p/w as the Montreal and the same rear-end ratio
could be 2 seconds slower to 60. Somebody's specifications aren't
right. Any one care to theorize?
Well there are a few explanations for these abnormalities.

Firstly, the Montreal figures come from more than one source. The source I can
get my hands on right now is Motor's road test of the Montreal. Their 0-60mph
time is slightly less spectacular than that I have listed, with 8.1s. Which
proves nothing but that figures can vary considerably accoring to driver &
conditions, everything else being equal.
Sure. The book says 8.8 0-60 for my GTV-6 with my original 2.5 liter engine in it,
I regularly clocked 8.1, 8.2 (G-Tech Pro).

The next point is that the 9.3 seconds for the GTV V8 is for 0-100km/h, not
0-60mph. Generally, there is about a 0.2-0.4 seconds difference between the two,
100km/h being 62.1 mph.
But surely an extra 2.1MPH would account for TWO SECONDS?

Also, the road test (by Auto Zeitung - scans available if anyone wants 'em) of
the V8 says the following:
"Kavalierstarts verhindert die (noch) etwas schwache Kupplung. Dass aber
immerhin Beschleunigungzeiten von 9,3 Sekunden fur den Sprint von 0 auf 100 km/h
moglich sind, zeigt, wie energisch der Motor in diesem Auto zur Sache geht."
which the Fish (http://babelfish.altavista.com) seems to think means:
"(still) somewhat the weak clutch prevents "jackrabbit"starts. The fact that
acceleration times of 9.3 seconds are moglich however nevertheless fur the
Sprint of 0 to 100 km/h shows, how energetically the engine goes in this car to
the thing" - which doesn't mean much to me at all, except that there was
possibly some drivetrain weaknes that prevented the testers from wringing the
utmost from it.
Now, that's certainly possible. If the clutch slips a lot on hard acceleration, you
Will lose a lot of time. I wonder why it was slipping? Design flaw? Bad sample?
If it's the latter, one would expect that the magazine would request another example.

In any event, I suspect that under optimal conditions the V8 could probably do a
lot better.
It should be almost identical to the Montreal - all else being equal.

I'm not sure about the 8.8 seconds for the GTV6 - I unfortunately added it long
before I started keeping references per car. I do know that I do not have an
actual road test of one anywhere, so the figures are probably from an Autocar
Road Test Results summary page.
I have the Brooklands Road Test Book called "Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV-6 -
1980 - 1986" It has road tests from Autocar, Car and Driver, MotorSport, What Car?,
Asian Auto, Sports Car World, Road & Track, Modern Motors and Car South
Africa, among others. Below are the 0-60 times and the magazine that
tested them.

8.3 - Car & Driver, June 1981
7.6 - What Car?, Nov, 1982
8.1 - Fast Lane, June, 1984
8.2 - Road & Track, Aug, 1985
8.2 - Popular Classics, 1991

So you can see, the 8.8 sec to 60 listed at the carfolio.com site in the original post
is not typical. But My G-Tech times were pretty much what most reviewers
got. BTW, with the 3-liter and the Pandora's box, I'm seeing times in the low
to mid sixes these days. 6.2 seconds comes up a lot, but occasionally I've
gotten a 6.4 or 6.5, especially before I put a new clutch in the car.

I will check when time allows. However, as a
GTV6 owner myself, I know that the gearchange (esp. on early cars) is bad,
especially if you're giving it the heavy right foot treatment. The rear axle
ratio also changed fairly soon into the model's lifespan, which may account for
better acceleration on later models too.
My GTV-6 has a Milano Verde rear end with posi. I've been told by my mechanic
that they had a 3.7X ratio rather than the normal Alfa 4.10. But since Carfolio
doesn't have the Milano Verde listed (they have a car called the 75 Green Cloverleaf,
but it's not the same car (2.5 engine, 14" wheels, 4.10 rear end.), I can't confirm this.

Hope that sheds some light on things.
Everything except why the German rag didn't request another sample without a slipping
clutch for review.

Ciao
Thanks, Zak

George Graves