[alfa] Headlights on - battery runs down.

Hi cats,

Some more electrical gremlins in my Alfetta. It seems
at night, or when my headlights are on, my battery
looses it's charge.

Here's how I know that: I installed a volt gauge in
my console. It's a marine volt gauge, so I hope that is
just as good as an automotive one, and I have a
pretty good size wire running from the switched part
of the fuse box, to it. (the light bulb is even on at
night). It measures when the ignition is on.

During the day, it reads 13 - 14 volts as the car is
running. At night, with the headlights on, it reads 10
volts and no matter how fast the engine spins, I don't
get a higher reading.

Last night, after stopping and coming back to my
car, the battery was dead. I got a jump start and
drove 25 miles home, shut the car off, and tried it
right away. Nothing. This morning, the battery
struggled, but it turned slowly and started. Volt gauge
read 13-14 volts. Let it run a few minutes and shut it off
and tried again, no problem starting.

Any ideas? Since it is specific to the night, could
there be a short in the headlights somewhere? Anyone
seen this specific problem before and found something
obvious?

Thanks,
Stefano.