Re: [alfa] filling a milano

Bernie, et al

It was the 1.8 4cylinder car. One of the things I remember about the car was that 5, twentysomething adults(?) were able to fit with all our associated duffles and such and that in looking at the US Milano's trunk my memory recalls a larger trunk on the Italian version ie: deeper towards the rear seats.
I could be wrong of course, as that would be nothing new for me.

I drove that car from Perugia (near Assissi) along the Autostrada to Maranello, then on to lake Como where we stayed off the Autostrada and on local roads all the way towards St. Moritz, then hooked a left over the Alps at either the Eulier (sic) or some other pass into Switzerland and on to Bern. From Bern to Lichenstein, Salzburg, Udine, Venice and returned from Bologna to Florence through the Raticosa and Futa passes of the Mille Miglia route.

The car was very good at all of the above mentioned driving conditions even with 5 people and luggage all the way to Switzerland. The run back was without 2 of the 4 passengers and the car was even more entertaining!

One of my many favorite moments came from passing (just barely) a Giulia Nuova Super at approximately 100 mph. The FAMILY in that car seemed to be enjoying their Alfa just as much as was I!!!

Ahhh memories!

Antonio

Alfaless in Astoria (Queens, NY that is)

Bernie Bennett wrote:

Oh Heck, nothing else to do on a school day at 1:05-1:45 CDT AM.

Was it a European 4 cyl w/ aprox.12 gal gas tank? That's position is where that size tank went in 105/115 series cars, I'm surprised that it would still be there in 116 cars? Was the US model that different?

I don't think the behind the rear seat mounted tanks were a quick fix. GTV6 & Milano V6 have bigger tank behind the rear seat out of the way of rear end collisions. Believe the tank was there too, in the Alfettas, think it was behind the seats too, not as big as the V6 tank. Alfetta GT has bigger trunk and back seat than GT- V6. Was maybe the behnd the rear seats position for US safety regs? Or Alfa's product liability planning? Sure made fold down rear seats and ski pockets not an option! Did euro model Alfa 75's have folding seats or ski pass thru pockets?

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett

Antonio Rosciglione wrote:

I thought I read somewhere and/or remember my rental milano back in 89 in Perugia, Italy having the gas tank where we have the spare tire on US models. If the Euro models do get the gas tank in the spare tire area could it be that the USA model tank is a quick fix that never quite works right?

FWIW, my brothers Milano and my former Verde both filled at painfully slow rates. My Verde somewhat better than his Milano and my former GTV6 pretty normal too.

Antonio