[alfa] re: clutch bleeding, ect.

I've gone through this in the GTV-6 several times, and on the most recent occasion I had to resort to a vacuum pump to get all the air out.

-Joe

At 12:14 AM +0000 9/7/03, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 14:50:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Stacy Faught <onethumb@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] clutch bleeding, ect.

After experiencing what was probably a slave cyliner failure last weekend in my '87 spider(clutch was VERY stiff once, pumped it, then it bottomed out---resovoir was empty, hydraulic fluid all over the place), I bought a new slave, rebuilt the master, and replaced the rubber hose. Now, I cannot seem to get the system to bleed properly---I followed the procedure (attach hose to bleed nozzle at slave, other end of hose in fluid to check air bubbles, open resovoir, pump clutch with a slow release), and even tried the 'long way' of doing it, by pushing the clutch, tightening the bleed screw, releasing the clutch, then opening the screw and doing it over again. I went through an entire large bottle of fluid, yet I still cannot attain the proper travel for the slave cylinder....it is about half of what it should be (about 0.25-0.30 inch vs. 0.43-0.47). The pedal still feels a bit soft, so I'm guessing there's still air in there, but how the heck to I clean it all out???? I've easily
flushed the entire system 3 or 4 times, and still there's air trapped in there.....

Or am I missing something????
Am I using the wrong fluid? Couldn't find the factory reccomended stuff, so I picked up a couple large bottles of DOT 4 brake fluid....I can't imagine one hydraulic fluid would be *that* much more compressible than another.....but I'm running out of ideas....

Any help would be totally appreciated...