[alfa] 164 fuel leaks and fire hazard

I beg to disagree in a thoroughly restrained way of course with those who suggest the 164 does not present a significant and exceptional fire hazard.

I have owned a number of cars in my time, including British models of dubious quality control, and I can state without reservation that the fuel seepage problems suffered by the Alfa 164 present an absolutely ridiculous fire hazard not experienced in any of my previous cars.

How a modern car can leave the design stage with such an awful fuel system is beyond my understanding. I have had fuel vapour or raw fuel seepage from my Alfa for the majority of the time I have owned it. Granted that most of the time this was short term from the engine fuel rails, and relatively easily repaired, but one cause was so obscure and ultimately ridiculous as to be beyond belief. This is typical of Alfa's sloppy attitude to engineering and manufacture that have driven it from this market twice already. No excuses can be made precisely because no other modern manufacturer has these problems and the fixes are so simple the factory SHOULD HAVE DONE THEM FIRST AT THE FACTORY.

For comparison consider how ridiculous it would be to permit seepage from brake lines. If you can seal hydraulic fluid, why not the even more dangerous fuel?

Alfa is rightly castigated for this significant fire hazard not shared by other non iron curtain vehicles.

Cheers all, and ...er... let the flames begin!
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner