Re: Subject: [alfa] Asbestos

Not an expert, but I understand that asbestos need only be a concern when it
is "friable," or loose as dust. Consequently, the shingles present little
hazard. It is the dust created in removal. That is probably why it is fairly
easily disposed of. Not here, however. A friend (commercial contractor) had
$50,000.00 held back until he could prove "lawful disposal" of a trash bag full of
asbestos.
     A little humor (without revealing what Commonwealth I am in) the local
EPA office was recently closed because asbestos was found there. The state EPA
director hired another friend (plumber) to replace his heating system. When he
was given the price for "lawful disposal" of the asbestos, he was shocked. He
asked "How did you guys do it in the old days?" He was told that the asbestos
was hosed and peeled off as goo. A week later my friend was called back, and,
wonder of wonders, the asbestos was gone.
Tom Faust