[alfa] Re: 164 up in flames

>>(I had waited years to get a 164 and bought this one three months ago. This
>>is the only car I have ever had catch fire.  I will NEVER buy another but
>>that's a story for another time).
>>

>I think you are drawing the wrong conclusion from this. Since 164s are
>not the only cars to burn - we have all seen a fine variety of vehicles
>on fire on the roads and freeways-...What is obvious is that
>not all 164s burn every year nor even a significant proportion - you
>would have heard about it on this list. So go out and buy another 164
>and be happy with it - the probability of that one burning too is rather
>limited. (Of course, check the fuel lines on the next one ... no point
>in looking for trouble!)

In attempts to add a little levity, let me add that the only thing my '81
Ford Bronco did right was burn to the ground. That was the only car I have owned
(out of roughly 11) that caught fire. It did give me a healthy respect for the
destructive potential that fire posesses. I guess watching the front
windshield get soft and melt away will do that.  That being said, I will echo Nicky's
sentiments and encourage you to "get back on the horse" by getting another
Alfa. I currently own three and am constantly tempted to try and figure out ways
of affording more. There have been a couple of recent posts about quite
inexpensive 164's ($1500 and $1800 respectively) if you need further coaxing. I find
Alfas to be wonderful cars, full of character, engaging to drive, and a very
visceral experience compared to many of the current market offerings. They can
be quirky (depending on model, vintage, etc), but I feel it is a small price
to pay for the reminder to imbue life with passion.

-Josh
'71 1750 Berlina
'72 2000 Berlina
'84 GTV6