[alfa] Re: Asbestos

Sorry Dick..can't let this one pass me by..

<I suspect from the age of the car, that the shield is made of asbestos. As a
practical matter, no problem, as long as the fibres remain compressed. There
are three different types of asbestos, only one of which causes cancer  and
asbestosis, and then only on chronic exposure. Still, nothing I'd volunteer to
breathe. If you ever remove the shield again, a light spray of water  will
keep
the fibres settled...more or less.>

As a heating engineer..married to an environmental health officer, the
asbestos question is well discussed in this house. Some rules that will help
you.

1) ONE FIBRE is enough if ingested, to eventually cause asbestosis. This is
rare, but there is documented case evidence.
2) All asbestos types pose a risk, blue: brown or white. (Health and Safety
Executive report 2002) The risk from previously thought low risk types is
worse than previously thought
3) It is virtually impossible to be 100% certain that a material contains
asbestos without laboratory analysis (unless labelled of course) PLAY SAFE AND
ASSUME IT DOES
4) If asbestos is contained in a matrix..e.g. cement, it is usually safe
enough to handle carefully but do not fracture it as you release fibres.
5) All the other advice given applies. Use a mask, wet the asbestos before
handling, wear gloves. We use disposable paper suits..optional. We always
DOUBLE BAG the abestos and seal with tape and dispose of at a site that is
legally registered to take the stuff.

Use common sense and you will be fine. Our company now chooses to bring in
outside contractors to deal with the stuff.

Tim Hancock  Boston UK