[alfa] Polyurethane vs. OEM Rubber Bushings?

I have re-bushed essentially all of my 87 Milano
Platinum with poly bushings from Performatek. Results
have been very impressive, with street handling
greatly improved over the stock bushings, some of
which were rather worn. How much of the improvement
can be attributed to the poly compound is hard to
judge...my OEM bushings were many years old, or even
original in some cases.

I now wish to re-bush my 67 Giulia Super and 78
Spider, and am again considering polyurethane.
However, a local, reputible Alfa mechanic has advised
me to stay far away from non-OEM bushes on these cars.
 His reasoning is that these "red things" are
"squishy" and cause the rear end of the car to act in
an uncontrolled manner.  He went so far as to say that
others have experienced the rear end "hopping" or
abruptly jumping position under accelleration or hard
cornering! These comments confuse me, because my
understanding is that poly is a more durable, less
compliant material than the OEM rubber. Could it be
that there is (or once was) a red poly compound out
there that was very soft?

Has anyone who switched a 105 or 115-series car over
to poly bushings care to relate his experience with
them?  Thanks...

-D-