[alfa] Fwd: fuel vapour smells 164

Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 20:08:52 -0600
To: "Mark Pavich" <pavichm@domain.elided>
From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
Subject: fuel vapour smells 164

Ah Mark, how does my 164 leak fuel, let me count the ways....

Unbelievably bad for a modern car. However, if you have rounded up the usual suspects and plugged 'em, try removing the trunk floor and part of the rear trunk liner and look at the screw heads on the fuel sender access plate. Some of us have found the fuel seeps up the threads of the machine screws that hold this down. My mechanic didn't believe me until I persisted and he then found the seepage and carefully sealed each one with an "o" ring under the screw head!

Be aware that this seepage is often intermittent and requires diligence and persistence to trace. A full tank helps.

Symptoms are fuel vapour smell with a window or especially the sunroof open after filling the tank very full. Also, as it gets worse the smell appears with a partially full tank after aggressive cornering, acceleration or braking.

Now there are a legion of other possibilities. The most common are the fuel rail hoses which benefit from double clamping to prevent seepage. the symptom here is raw gas smell on a cold startup which rapidly dissipates. Unrelated to fuel tank level or aggressive driving. Very cold weather makes the symptom worse.

There are two hose connections behind the engine that often leak also.

Check the 164 tech discussions for more possibilities.

Cheers and good luck
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner