From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
webb.p@domain.elided
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 3:39 PM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Front sprint removal

Ok, I'm probably going to catch hell for this, and it contradicts my own
advice
in the past but I have a theory on removing the front springs on a 105/115
front suspension.

The preferred method is to use the factory tool that bolts to the spring pan

bolts and relieves the tension via a big threaded worm.   The home
substitute
is to replace the spring pan bolts with long threaded bolts and loosen them
until the pan is lowered and tension is relieved.

What would be the difference in using a hydraulic jack under the spring pan
and
lowering it slowly to relieve the tension on the springs?   A big no-no is
seperate the ball joint and use the lower a-arm.   It seems to me, using
hydraulics and threads to lower the pan straight down is the same thing.
The
only exception being that threaded method holds pan in place where the jack
could slip.

Opinions?

-Peter