RE: [alfa] failed rear wheel stud

>From: Scott Johnson <scott@domain.elided>
>Subject: [alfa] failed rear wheel stud?

>Problem:
>While changing brake pads & rotors, I attempted to remove the driver's
>side rear wheel, but was unable because of a lug nut that wouldn't come
>off. The nut loosened a bit, but apparently siezed on the stud and
>started turning that instead.

>This is the last year of the "backward" studs on the driver's side, so I
>was *very* careful not to turn the nuts the wrong way. Unfortunately, by
>the condition of the other lug nuts, other mechanics over time were not
>so careful. Regardless, I now have a rear wheel I can't get off, at
>least with hand tools.

>Is this a repair for a garage, or can I do it myself? As I recall, to
>change out these studs requires removing the halfshaft of the axle.
>True? What's involved? Is there a trick I can use to try getting that
>nut off?

>I have "regular" studs for the front wheels, came with the rotor I
>bought. Where would I pick up a set of "regular" studs for the back?

>Is the job complex enough to warrant simply replacing the rear axle with
>a different (prefereably LSD) one?

Scott,
If you don't have a small angle grinder, now is the time to buy one.
My RYOBI angle grinder cost about $40 at Home Depot. With this tool
you can grind off that frozen nut in about 15 minutes or less.
In regard to changing out the rear axle studs, it's really easy.
First remove the brake caliper and slide off the brake drum/rotor.
Then remove four nuts behind the rotor splash plate that secures
the axle bearing and slide out the half shaft. If it does'nt
slide out easily there may be some corosion, just rent an axle
slide hammer from your local auto parts store. Tap out the studs
while backing up the shaft end in a partially open vise. Bang in
new ones the same way. I don't know where to get new studs
however, back 30 years ago the local Alfa dealer had them on
the shelf. Good Luck.
Gil Gagne
1986 Spider