[alfa] Re: gear lightening / 2nd synchro

Chiming in from a different side.....

Fate did strange things for me, a brief flirtation with a rustbucket
Spyder never took root and I ended up with BMW 2002s to play with
instead.

Natch, the little German boxes also have a problem with the 1-2
shift.  The early cars had the same synchronizers as early Porsches,
and they were easily crunched.  Later ones lasted longer, but the
transmissions (ZF and Getrag)just weren't designed for American style
shifting.

As for driving in Italy....  Last year I learned that one must drive
aggressively to prevent Italian drivers from taking advantage of
one's kindness.  Let one scooter through and a dozen will follow; cut
off one scooter and a dozen others will notice and stay out of your
way.

vince
Naperville, IL