Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 12:36 PM 8/30/2003, you wrote:

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:17:13 -0700
From: "Peter Kemos" <pskemos@domain.elided>
Subject: gear lightening / 2nd synchro

The frequently heard complaint of weak second gear synchros is a MYTH.

The fact of the matter is that the transmissions were not built for US style
"stop-light-grand-prix-racing", where one launches off in first gear and
then slams the transmission into second, using force, not finesse.
The reason that the vast majority of US Alfa transmissions have faulty 2nd
gear synchros is because they were abused by hack drivers, whether the
previous or current owner or both.

I bought my current 73 GTV about 10 years ago.  The PO had had the car about
6 years at that point and had done zero transmission work, so the tranny is
now at least 16 years old, and may well be an original unrebuilt unit
alltogether.

This car has since undergone a gradual transformation from beater to decent
street ride to competitive club racer.  The one thing i have to date never
worked on is the transmission.  It shifts perfectly well into second,
whether up or down, and i neither heel and toe, nor baby it.

Sorry about the rant but the "why did Alfa make such a weak 2nd
synchro......" sets me off a little.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to get the gears lightened, as it does
allow for quicker shifts, but at the same time there is nothing wrong or
weak about the stock design either.
There, i feel better now.

Peter Kemos